Wednesday 24 June 2015

Jo, jo, vid Waterloo Napoleon fick ge sig.....

So Waterloo has come and gone and just about everyone seems to have been playing some kind of refight over the last week or 2 (I'll leave you to work out the title of this post for yourselves!).  I had been due to take part in the Guildford club's game on Saturday but ended up taking my son off to look at a prospective uni.  One of my friends who was there has shared some photos so I've copied a couple of the here (thanks Anthony!)....






On Monday I did get my opportunity for a bit of Waterloo glory however as Anthony and I played out the battle using Command and Colours Napoleonics.



This had been planned as an extra large game but due to some technicalities with the board we had to go with a cut down version (no Prussians!).  I took the French and for a large part of the game was pretty convinced I was going to lose...every time I advanced I seemed to get shot to pieces but some devastating fire from the British Line infantry and especially from a particularly annoying Dutch-Belgian rifle unit which kept popping out of Papelotte, shooting up my units and the retiring to safety again.  They eventually succumbed to the Young Guard who had to chase them right across the board!





I managed to capture the 3 objectives of La Haie Sainte, Hougoumont and Papelotte but couldn't dent the main line.  Throwing caution to the wind I eventually decided (thanks to a useful set cards in my hand) to throw in several units in a mass attack including the Old Guard and somehow broke through, winning enough flags to win the game.  More satisfyingly I was able to wipe out those annoying Dutch-Belgian buggers!!!


I'm always impressed by game like C&C, Memoir 44 etc which are deceptively simple and games but which are tactically challenging and often give what appears to be a realistic result.

No comments:

Post a Comment