Over the last couple of weeks I've made a start on my new Northwest Frontier project, tackling a few of the British and Afghan figures. These are all from the Armies in Plastic 54mm range and my thoughts on how I ended up starting yet another project are here.
I've never tackled any figures in this scale since I randomly daubed some khaki paint over my Airfix Afrika Korps when I was about 8...hopefully there's a slight improvement! I decided working on 4 at a time seemed like a nice number...not too many that I feel overwhelmed and fairly quickly getting the figures completed.
These are a couple of unpainted figures...they've had a wash with detergent to remove any grease. I'm never sure if this is really necessary but worry that if I don't do it all the paint will fall off!
A couple of undercoated figures. The British are undercoated with Army Painter British Khaki and the Afghans in black but I may stick to Khaki for all of them in future.
Some completed figures. They all had a basic paint job, dipped in Army Painter Shade and then highlighted and matt Varnished (Army Painter again)
...and with completed bases...
And the first batch of Afghans...